Tuesday 26 April 2016

More Improvisation




With these two improvisations I tried to develop themes as well as using melodic runs between them. My playing is usually predominantly pentatonic based but I have used chromatic passing notes and other scales such as Phrygian dominant in the first video. This allowed me to create more varied melodic lines rather than just pentatonic.

One thing that I think diminishes the diversity in both videos is the use of note rests. I have fallen into a habit of using rests too frequently whilst playing. I could potentially double the quantity of different licks I use if I sustained some notes rather than cutting them off for rhythmic effect. I will still use rests but in the future I will try to use them less frequently and more appropriately. I think this style does suit the first song but the second song could do with some longer notes.

The main thing I need to practise in regards to lead playing is using different modes. I always tend to begin an improvisation on the root note when it could sound interesting developing an idea on another note and using the corresponding mode to create melodic ideas. Using chords or simultaneous intervals would also be of benefit whilst soloing over songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment